A voter ID card is one of the most important documents issued by the government to its citizens. It permits the bearer to participate and vote in elections at the regional, start as well as national level, allowing the bearer to elect a representative who will govern the region, state or country respectively.
Once your voter ID card has been issued, you can use the same card throughout your lifetime to participate in elections. In the event the card is lost, misplaced or is unusable due to being torn or mutilated, you can apply for a duplicate card.
Apply for Duplicate Voter ID
Applying for a duplicate voter ID card is now a quick and convenient process. Applicants can apply for a duplicate voter’s ID card in the following situations:
- Theft of card
- Card misplaced or stolen
- If card is unusable due to wear and tear
The applicant will have to submit an application form along with supporting documents to the Electoral Officer, who will issue the card after verifying the information.
Step by Step Procedure to Obtain a Duplicate Voter ID Card
Listed below are the Steps to Follow When Applying for a Duplicate Voter ID Card:
- Visit the electoral office nearest to your place of residence and collect a copy of Form EPIC-002, which is the application form for duplicate voter ID card.
- Fill in the form with the relevant details such as name, address, voter ID card etc.
- Attach the required supporting documents and submit the form at the electoral office.
- On submission, you will receive a reference number that you can use to track the status of your application.
- Your application will be verified by the Electoral Officer and on successful verification, you will be issued with a duplicate voter’s ID card.
- You will be notified regarding your application being processed and can collect your card in person from the electoral office.
Online Process to Apply for Duplicate Voter ID Card
Applying for a duplicate voter ID card used to be a long process earlier, where you had to make multiple trips to the local electoral office to collect a form, submit it and track your application.
The Election Commission of India has now introduced an online application process for duplicate voter ID cards across all states and union territories. Now, you can apply for a duplicate card from the comfort of your home and complete all the formalities without having to visit the electoral office each time.
Process to Apply Online for a Duplicate Voter’s ID Card:
- Download a copy of Form EPIC-002 which is the application form for issue of a duplicate voter ID card from your state’s Chief Electoral Officer’s website.
- Fill in the form and attach all the required documents as mentioned in the form such as FIR copy, proof of address, and proof of identity.
- Submit the form to your local electoral office, whereupon you will be issued a reference number.
- You can track your application status on the state election office website using this number.
- Once you have submitted your form, it will be processed and verified by the electoral office.
- After successful verification, you will be notified and can go to the electoral office and collect your duplicate voter ID card.
Form for Duplicate Voter ID
The form to be submitted for the issue of a duplicate voter ID card is known as Form EPIC-002. This is the form for the issue of a photo voter ID card, and is available on the websites of the various Chief Electoral Officers for each state. The form is also available at all electoral offices across the country.
Applicants will have to provide certain details when applying for a duplicate voter’s ID card, such as their state or union territory, full name, address, date of birth, as well as the reason for applying for a duplicate card.
In case of loss or theft of voter ID card, a copy of the FIR registered at the time of the loss/theft is also to be attached, along with address proof, identity proof as well as passport sized photographs.
Voter ID Card by State
For getting the duplicate voter ID card the form 001 is to be filled by which the person gets registration for getting the Voter ID card. After filling the form no.006 the name of the individual will be mentioned in the voters list. Both the forms 001 and 006 can be filled simultaneously.
In case of lost of the Voter ID card the person has to fill the form no.002. Before applying for the duplicate Voter ID card the person have to lodge the FIR in the police station of his area and have to take the copy of that FIR. During applying for duplicate PAN card the copy of FIR is to be attached.
The amount of Rs.25 is to be deposited to the office of the local Electoral Registration Office in the form of penalty. On the Election Day the individual must carry his voter ID card issued to him for the purpose of identification and voting.
Besides the copy of FIR regarding the lost of voter ID card certain other documents are also required like passport, driving license, ration card, pan card etc.